Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Day 35 - of 100 Days of Quilts
Autumn signs

What quilt will I pick today....that is always the question. This was a new quilt that we added to our collection this year, and I really like it. You would have seen it for the first time a few months ago, when it appeared in McCall's Quick Quilts.
And here is another story about editors. We met with Beth Hays at a quilt market (and I can't remember which one!) and she wanted a quilt that had a few specifics elements in it, and asked if we would be able to design one for her. Sure, why not? We love getting challenges. Beth was looking for a lap size project, done using RJR flannels, and it was to be masculine, with a fall feeling to it. And since it was going to be in Quick Quilts, it was not suppose to be overly ornate or time consuming.
I don't remember how Cori and I started with this layout, but I really did love the end result. I think it met all of Beth's requirements, and it has a unique look to it. It is also a quilt that you can play around with and change. Don't like the large leaves? Why not use tree's and bears for a rustic look. OR, why not use some of those amazing Japanese prints for the backgrounds, and change the leaves to Koi fish? Now that is an idea that I would like to play around with....
And in case you didn't get the lastest newsletter that Cori sent out this past week (just add you name to the mailing list, and you will get it!) We will be releasing this design as a seperate quilt pattern in the next month or two.
See you tomorrow!
-myra