Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Cooking with Cori

I am going to share one of my favorite recipes with you today. It was a childhood favorite, when I would come home from school and the smell of waffles met me at the door...that was a good day. This is my mom's recipe for Waffles and homemade Sauce. I wanted to post a picture but I am making this recipe later toady and will post the photo later on.

Waffles
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp baking powder
2 eggs - whites and yolks separated
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup whipping cream (35% cream)
8 tsp melted margarine

Whip egg whites until stiff and forms peaks.
Mix dry ingredients together then add wet ingredients and beat together. Fold in the egg whites.
Preheat waffle iron.

Sauce
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

Cook sugar, milk and cream. Saving a little bit of cold milk, mix the cornstarch in the milk. When the sugar and milk have come to a boil, reduce heat and add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool before serving.

The waffles and sauce can be served with peaches or strawberries! Enjoy.

~cori




No comments: