Monday, April 28, 2008

Day 67 - of 100 Days of Quilts

Prairie Sun


Have you ever gone digging through a box of old scraps, and actually found a quilt? It happened to me a few weeks ago at my mothers house. I routinely dump bags and boxes of scraps onto my mother, who loves sewing up these little pieces into projects. I was helping her sort through a box that had some larger pieces in it, when I unfolded this quilt top. I had completely forgotten about it! I had pieced this top 10 years ago, right after our first quilt was published in American Patchwork & Quilting. This is actually a variation of that quilt. I had a piece of brown wheat fabric in my stash, and I modified the star block so I could use it. I loved the way it turned out, but I knew my mother didn't have time to hand quilt it for me, so I guess it was set aside. When I found it again, I packed it up, and sent it off to one of our quilters.
And can you believe the quilting? I gave this quilt to Jacquie Pohl, and told her to keep it simple. I put it all into her hands, because quite frankly, I didn't know how I wanted to have it quilted. Jacquie knows me, and she also knows how to bring out the best in a quilt, and so handing this over to her was the right decision. Now I just have to finish the binding, and bring it down to our local quilt show that is happening this weekend.
See you tomorrow.
-myra

No comments: