Friday, April 11, 2008

Day 59 - 100 days of quilts
Petunia Picnic
The above version of Petunia Picnic was done for our fourth book Four Season's of Quilts. This quilts is 56" x 56" and was intended to be a large table square or a picnic blanket if you so dare! The pieced blocks are actually paper pieced and I guess we were ahead of our time...using so much white - we are big into that right now, as you will see in the next version below.

Posted by Picasa
This version was one I did for myself just recently. I feel in love with the Amy Butler print that I used in the center. I changed the layout slightly, still paper pieced the "flowers" and changes the dimensions to 30" x 34" for my table center. For the flowers I used three fabrics from our Bohemian Rhapsody collection, a coral, green and yellow. And again I used a solid warm white to calm the whole thing done. This is kind of a lesson in fabric if you will. Sometimes when you use too many of these more modern fabrics in one project it gets to over done and busy. That is why we love to through in some tonal fabrics and of course white or ivory - a place for the eye to rest and then the modern fabric becomes the star and the other fabrics just enhance it!
The quilting was done by a good friend of mine, the floral vine in the border was just the right thing. I never told her how to quilt this one, it was a great surprise to unwrap this parcel.
Do you like the more modern fabrics? How do you use them?
~Cori
p.s if you are wondering what Myra is doing today...she is at the hospital with her daughter. No emergency, Robyn is having her tonsils (i am not sure i spelled that right!) out today.

No comments: