Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day 49 - of 100 Days of Quilts

Butterfly Blue
Do you ever dream about quilts? Well, I do. And a few years ago I dreamt up this one. I wanted a large quilt, that would just be a collection of butterflies. The problem with dreaming up a quilt, is that sometimes the reality of it doesn't work. It would be hard to applique the butterflies on such a large surface. So the only solution was to break the quilt down into large 16" blocks.
The applique was done by my mother, and some of the staff of her quilt shop. And in the center of the quilt, around the butterflies are large swirls that are embroidered with 6 strands of embroidery floss. The same design in carried into the borders, where it is only quilted and not embroidered.
This is another quilt that I can see in so many different color palettes. I also think that it would be great to do a table center of this quilt, by using four blocks of butterflies, and also the large wide border. I guess I have another project idea to add to my list.
See you tomorrow.
-myra
Posted by Picasa

No comments: